Medical ArticlesParoxysmal Tachycardia
This condition is generally termed by the patient a "palpitat...
Cold Affusions And Rubbing
After the pack, the patient is placed in an empty bathing or ...
The treatment of shock will probably always be unsatisfactory...
It has long been known that altitude increases the heart rate...
An ordinary bed which has not been slept in for some weeks, al...
It is difficult to determine the presence of _worms_ in child...
The Repugnant Bowel
I don't know why, but people of our culture have a deep-seate...
Breath And The Skin
The organs of breathing remove much waste from the system, but...
These begin like warts, and in the earlier stages poulticing a...
Colds Consumption And Pneumonia
Disease Germs. In all foul air there are scores of different ...
Modifications Of Electricity
In the present stage of electric science, the conviction has ...
Auricular Fibrillation Treatment
The condition may be stopped by relieving the heart and circu...
Sometimes a severe out-break and eruption will occur in and ar...
Endoscopy In Malignant Disease Of The Larynx
The general surgical rule applying to individuals past middle...
is valuable as a _palliative_ upon cancerous tumors. As a _cu...
Emetic; stimulate and keep warm; keep patient lying down. ...
Growth Of Body
See Limb, Saving a. ...
Taking A Laryngeal Specimen For Diagnosis
The diagnosis of carcinoma, sarcoma, and some other conditio...
Children In Fever
Fevered children, whether in any actual fever, as scarlet, typ...
While the usually thin, watery esophageal and gastric secret...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy