|Once upon a time I taught school in the hills of Tennessee, where the broad dark vale of the Mississippi begins to roll and crumple to greet the Alleghanies. I was a Fisk student then, and all Fisk men think that Tennessee--beyond the ... Read more of A NEGRO SCHOOLMASTER IN THE NEW SOUTH at Martin Luther King.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesRelaxation Of Treatment Towards The End Of The Third Period Continuation Of Packs During And After Desquamation
When the patient is through the first part of the period of ...
Compression Stenosis Of The Esophagus
The esophagus may be narrowed by the pressure of any periesop...
See Abscess; Ankle; Armpit; Bone, Diseased. ...
The covering of oiled silk, or guttapercha, so frequently plac...
The regular type of laryngoscope shown in Fig. I (A, B, C) i...
Potatoes boiled and beaten up with buttermilk, spread out in t...
The Fulcrum Of The Bronchoscopic Lever Is At The Upper Thoracic Aperture
Disregard of this rule will cause subglottic edema and will ...
This frequent and severe trouble results most usually from chi...
Methods Of Treatment
Irritating applications probably provoke recurrences, becaus...
Benign Neoplasms Of The Esophagus
As a result of prolonged inflammation edematous polypi and gr...
It is not always easy to say definitely whether a bone is brok...
Seamill Sanatorium And Hydropathic
Very soon after the appearance of these "Papers on Health," th...
This is substantially the same thing as trismus, except that ...
All endoscopic procedures should be performed in a somewhat ...
Papillomata Of The Larynx In Children
Of all benign growths in the larynx papilloma is the most fre...
Tricuspid insufficiency, except as rarely found in the fetus,...
The cause of deposits of fat around the heart or in between i...
My Own 56 Day Long Fast
Fasters go through a lot of different emotional states, these...
Breath And Nerve
Difficult breathing, especially in ascending a hill, is often ...
Ice-water And Snow-bath In Malignant Cases
If no rash appear during the first pack, which will scarcely ...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy