|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesErrors To Avoid In Suspected Foreign Body Cases
1. Do not reach for the foreign body with the fingers, lest...
Length Of Bath
Although the temperature, in sthenic cases, should be a littl...
Mitral Insufficiency: Mitral Regurgitation
This is the most frequent form of valvular disease of the hea...
Ulcers Case Xxiii
Mr. Marshall, aged 60, had a troublesome ulcer under the oute...
Auricular Fibrillation Diagnosis
If the pulse is intermittent and there is apparently a heart ...
Apthae - Thrush
This is a disease peculiar to nursing children. The mouth bec...
Cures As Self-applied
Often young people in lodgings are in difficulty for want of s...
These will be found treated under the various heads of Colds, ...
Cancer In Face
Treat as far as possible as recommended for breast cancer. ...
Rest In Sleep
HOW do we misuse our nervous force? First, let us con...
The Extraction Of Tightly Fitting Foreign Bodies From The Bronchi
Annular Edema Such objects as marbles, pebbles, corks, etc.,...
In many cases of severe illness, the stomach rejects all food,...
The Curative Influence Of The Imagination
At the present day the remarkable benefit which often resul...
The part of the heart most affected is the part which has the...
Eyes Paralysis Of
The partial paralysis of the muscles of one eye produces doubl...
General Principles Of Position
As will be seen in Fig. 47 the trachea and esophagus are not...
Benign Growths In The Larynx
Benign growths in the larynx are easily and accurately remova...
THERE was once a family who had a guest staying with ...
Acute Stenosis Of The Larynx
Etiology.--Causes of a relatively sudden narrowing of the lum...
Safety-pins in children, point upward, when lodged high in t...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy