|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesEndoscopy In Malignant Disease Of The Larynx
The general surgical rule applying to individuals past middle...
How To Be Ill And Get Well
ILLNESS seems to be one of the hardest things to happ...
A Healthy Colon
From my point of view the most amazing part of this whole exp...
Length Of Pack
Usually it is time for the patient to come out from his pack,...
The Need Of Pure Air
Free Air is Pure. As air, in the form of wind, actually sweep...
Seamill Sanatorium And Hydropathic
Very soon after the appearance of these "Papers on Health," th...
Ankle Twisted Or Crushed
Place the foot as soon as possible in warm water, as hot as ca...
Fixation of the crico-arytenoid joints with an approximation...
Radium and the therapeutic roentgenray are today our only ef...
Dripping Sheet Substitute For The Half-bath
To apply the _dripping sheet_, a tin bathing hat or a large w...
1 Is Water Applicable In All Typhoid Cases?
The question has been raised, whether in typhoid cases, and i...
To Prevent Scarlet Fever
Give Belladonna at the 3d attenuation, three to six pellets, ...
This is often an adjunct of old age, and sometimes occurs in t...
See Digestion; Nourishment. ...
Treat croup, whether membranous or spasmodic, much the same a...
Condition Of The Throat And Other Internal Organs
The condition of the _throat_ requires the most constant atte...
An infant's clothing should be soft, warm, and light in weight...
From The Hygienic Dictionary
Diagnosis.  In the United States, making a diagnosis impli...
The Fundamental Principle
If you are a true believer in any of the above food religions...
The treatment of shock will probably always be unsatisfactory...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy