Medical ArticlesThe Surgical Dissection Of The Axillary And Brachial Regions Displaying The Relative Order Of Their Contained Parts
All surgical regions have only artificial boundaries; and the...
Recent Wounds Contusions And Burns
Use the B D current, strong force as can be borne. Bring the ...
The Cause Of Disease
Ever since natural medicine arose in opposition to the violen...
How To Sew Easily
IT is a common saying that we should let our heads sa...
All endoscopic procedures should be performed in a somewhat ...
Pleuroscopy For Disease
Most pleural diseases require a large external opening for d...
Hands Dry And Hard
Pack the hands in SOAP LATHER (see) mixed with a little fine o...
HOW to live at peace with others is a problem which, if pract...
When compensation has been restored, the patient may be allow...
The Circumstances Of Life
IT is not the circumstances of life that trouble or w...
Indications.--Tracheotomy is indicated in dyspnea of laryngot...
The Malignant Forms Of Scarlet-fever
are caused by the character of the epidemy, but, perhaps, mor...
These are often a really serious trouble, especially to women,...
What we call, for want of a better name, "nerve force," or "ne...
Period Of Incubation Or Hatching
The time which passes between the reception of the contagious...
The lodgement of foreign bodies in the esophagus is influenc...
The swallowing function can be studied only with the fluoros...
The Relative Position Of The Superficial Organs Of The Thorax And Abdomen
In the osseous skeleton, the thorax and abdomen constitute a ...
Nourishment Heat In
Heat is absorbed in building up the bodily tissues, and given ...
Burns Case Xxxv
The following case will present a specimen of my trials of th...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy