|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Often in cases where our treatment fails to cure, the failure ...
The symptoms are increased tension, which means, sooner or la...
Before Perspiration Comes On There Is A Little More Excitement For
a few minutes (41), which must not induce the friends of the pa...
How the Eye is Made. Next in importance after the smell and t...
The flat rubber bags of various shapes, to be had from all rub...
To Prevent Itch
A dose of _Sulphur_, or rubbing a little flour of sulphur on ...
Take B D current. Place N. P., long cord, upon the lumbar ver...
See Veins, Swollen, etc. ...
Congenital And Pathological Deformities Of The Prepuce And Urethra Stricture And Mechanical Obstructions Of The Urethra
When any of the central organs of the body presents in a fo...
Abscess Of The Lung
If of foreign-body origin, pulmonary abscess almost invariab...
Theory Of Man
Let the question now be raised--What is man? The answer will ...
THERE are very few persons who have not I had the experience ...
How Nuts should be Used. Another form of fat is the meat of ...
If a chronic endocarditis has followed an acute condition, so...
Mineral Acids And Glacial Acetic
If any neutralising agent, such, e.g., as lime, chalk, soda, o...
Physics Of Aortic Lesions
Next in frequency to mitral insufficiency is aortic insuffici...
Sudden Invasion Of The Nervous Centres
Of the different forms of scarlatina maligna the most dangero...
VALENTINE GREATRAKES was born at Affane, County of Waterford,...
Whether any drug should be used which acts directly on the he...
Testing For Electric Defects
These tests should be made beforehand; not when about to com...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy