It is a mistake to try to force a foreign body into the stom...
An infant's clothing should be soft, warm, and light in weight...
If in the head, first give face-bath, as in common colds, exc...
A large, soft, fleshy tumour is usually simply an accumulation...
Where we prescribe this, either for drinking or for external u...
_Tis a gift to be simple Tis a gift to be free, Tis a gift ...
Removal Of Foreign Bodies From The Larynx
Symptoms and Diagnosis.--The history of a sudden choking atta...
The Popularity of Beverages. For some curious reason, the h...
Nose Bleed - Epistaxis
If it arises from fullness of the vessels of the head, with t...
Is now known to be conveyed by the bite of a certain kind of m...
Strangulation Or Hanging
Often accidentally caused in children or intoxicated persons. ...
This drug is a West Indian gum, and is one of those remedies w...
Diagnosis From Measles
In scarlatina the heat is much greater, and the pulse is much...
This disease is a most difficult one to deal with, and any hea...
I was practicing in Cincinnati during the prevalence of Chole...
Children are not unfrequently born with this deformity in one ...
The proper cooking of this root is so important for health, ow...
Rash Or Hives
Infants are often troubled with large red, angry-looking spots...
Much, if not all, of the success in any case of treatment depe...
The term "simple dilatation" may be applied to the dilatation...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy