Medical ArticlesRheumatic Fever
See Fever, Rheumatic. ...
The Anti-gastric Method
consisting in the free use of emetics or purgatives, has been...
Before Perspiration Comes On There Is A Little More Excitement For
a few minutes (41), which must not induce the friends of the pa...
The Extraction Of Tightly Fitting Foreign Bodies From The Bronchi
Annular Edema Such objects as marbles, pebbles, corks, etc.,...
Vitamin Program For The Sick
No matter which way you look at it or how well insured you ma...
Length Of The Fast
How long should a person fast? In cases where there are serio...
Many of the troubles which come in this process arise simply f...
This distressing and most infectious trouble is due to a small...
Philosophy Of Disease And Cure
In every part of the animal economy, polar derangements in th...
This is a contagious disease, and always begins with symptoms...
Milk, Meat, And Other Protein Foods
Speaking of butter, how about milk? The dairy lobby is very p...
The Effect Of Athletics On The Heart
We can no longer neglect the seriousness of the effects of c...
I have worked with many young women with breast cancer; so ma...
Breast Swelling In
A blow on the breast, or the drain of nursing a child, along w...
under a well conducted course of hydriatic treatment is, in g...
TO argue with nervous anxiety, either in ourselves or...
Nerve Centres Failing
Many diseases flow from this cause, but at present we only con...
Lather How To Make
One of the most powerful soothing influences which can be had,...
Toxic Disturbances And Heart Rate
Under this head it is not proposed to consider disturbances...
Some peoples' lives don't run smoothly. Jeanne's certainly di...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy