Medical ArticlesEarly Symptoms Of Irritating Foreign Body Such As A Peanut Kernel In The Bronchus
1. Initial laryngeal spasm is almost invariably present wit...
The cause of an irregularly acting heart in an adult may be o...
See Abscess. ...
Is applicable to inflamed eyes, in the early stage, where the...
Some general remarks on this important treatment we give here....
See Fever, Typhoid. ...
Clinical Interpretation Of Pulse Tracings
A moment may be spent on clinical interpretation of pulse tra...
Plain Every-day Common Sense
PLAIN common sense! When we come to sift everything d...
The Progress Of Disease: Irritation, Enervation, Toxemia
Disease routinely lies at the end of a three-part chain that ...
Anything which tends to increase the acidity of the tissues a...
A MAN once grasped a very hot poker with his hand, an...
The points to be gained are, to reduce the action of the amat...
Esophagoscopy For Foreign Body
In some cases the bran in whole wheaten bread and Saltcoats bi...
The immediate conditions to meet are the rapid fluttering hea...
During rheumatism the peripheral blood vessels are generally ...
Ulcers Case Xxix
The peculiarity of the present case arose from neglect in eva...
To wisely alter and arrange the treatment in any case is of th...
A NURSE who had been only a few weeks in the hospital...
Anesthesia In Heart Disease
While no physician likes to give an anesthetic to a patient w...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy