|The boy who had "made good" in town asked his old mother to come to London. He gave the old lady the best room in the hotel--one with a private bath adjoining. The next morning the boy asked: "Did you have a good night's rest?" "Well, no, ... Read more of A Bad Night at Free Jokes.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesPhysics Of Aortic Lesions
Next in frequency to mitral insufficiency is aortic insuffici...
The Circumstances Of Life
IT is not the circumstances of life that trouble or w...
Lues Of The Esophagus
Esophageal syphilis is a rather rare affection, and may show ...
The Plumbing And Sewering Of The Body
The Wastes of the Body. Almost everything that the body does ...
At Nauheim, under the direction of Dr. Theodore Schott, baths...
Children's Healthy Growth
Often either the whole system or some part fails to grow prope...
Preparation Of The Patient For Peroral Endoscopy
The suggestions of the author in the earlier volumes in regar...
Action Of The Pack And Bath Rationale
The action of the wet-sheet pack is thus easily accounted for...
Where Sugar is Obtained. The other great member of the starch...
For infants who cannot be nursed at the breast, cows' milk in ...
Prolapsus Uteri Falling Of The Womb
Take the B D current, of good medium force, and give general ...
JOHANN BAPTIST VAN HELMONT, a celebrated Belgian physician, s...
A snake bite is only one of a large class of injuries which ma...
Use the A D current, strong force. Place the N. P., long cord...
Strangulation Or Hanging
Often accidentally caused in children or intoxicated persons. ...
Skin eruptions, known under this name, have very various cause...
Some general remarks on this important treatment we give here....
Bruises Case Xix
Robert Hill, aged 16, received a blow yesterday from a bone w...
Frictions With Lard
were used already by Caelius Aurelianus, and recently re-intr...
Inflammation Of The Brain
See Brain. See also Knee; Limbs, Inflamed; Lungs, etc. ...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy