|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesThe Development Of Allergies
There are three ways a body can become allergic. (1) It can h...
Signs Of Heart Weakness
It should be remembered that a normal heart may slow to about...
The diet of the sick should he nutricious, but at all times s...
Sprains Or Racks
A sprain is usually the result of some involuntary stress comi...
Physical Signs Of Tracheal Foreign Body
If fixed in the trachea the only objective sign of foreign bo...
Treatment Of The Violent Or Sthenic Form Of Scarlatina Anginosa
The _violent_, or _sthenic form_ of scarlatina anginosa becom...
The Care Of An Invalid
TO take really good care of one who is ill requires n...
Where we prescribe this, either for drinking or for external u...
The regular type of laryngoscope shown in Fig. I (A, B, C) i...
Prognosis And Convalescence
The duration of acute endocarditis varies greatly; it may be ...
Wounds And Bruises
On this subject, I must necessarily be very brief. When a wou...
Lungs Congestion Of The
Treatment as below. Read preceding and succeeding articles. ...
Continued coldness of the feet gives rise to many more serious...
The Fulcrum Of The Bronchoscopic Lever Is At The Upper Thoracic Aperture
Disregard of this rule will cause subglottic edema and will ...
Rules For Insertion Of The Catheter For Insufflation Anesthesia
1. The patient should be fully under the anesthetic by the ...
The Distinctive Diagnosis Between External And Internal Inguinal Herniae The Taxis The Seat Of Stricture And The Operation
A comparison of the relative position of these two varieties ...
Bromids And Chloral
If there is much restlessness and the circulation is good, th...
Inflammation Of The Finger Case Xxxi
A young man, aged 18, came to me with a painful swelling of t...
Fever arising from bad state of the blood may be treated by ca...
Pain Severe In Limbs
This is often not due to any trouble in the joint itself, but ...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy