Take the A. D. current, medium force, in all forms of the dis...
This condition is generally termed by the patient a "palpitat...
Chronic Back Pain
Barry was a carpenter who couldn't afford to lose work becaus...
_Small-pox_, by far the most dangerous of them, has found a b...
While this name is more or less unfortunate, it has long been...
By inserting the window plug shown in Fig. 6 the esophagus m...
The chief traumatic factors in chronic laryngeal stenosis ar...
The Heart In Pneumonia
As pneumonia heads the list of the causes of death in this co...
Bowels Locking Of
Sometimes when one part of the bowels is much more active than...
Very great good can often be done by a little careful syringin...
Throat Sore (clergyman's)
Those who are in the habit of using their voice much should be...
If a chronic endocarditis has followed an acute condition, so...
It is well to bear in mind that there is scarcely any nourishm...
The composition of different articles of food varies. A turnip ...
Varieties Of Forms Of Scarlatina
The above is the description of scarlet-fever, as it most fre...
WORK for the better progress of the human race is most effect...
Bromids And Chloral
If there is much restlessness and the circulation is good, th...
(_Ague in the breast--Inflamed breast_.) This is a disease...
See Breath, and the Heart. ...
Treatment Of Scarlatina Simplex Or Simple Scarlet-fever
_Scarlatina simplex_, or _simple scarlet-fever_ (9), without ...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy