|While working on a sermon the pastor heard a knock at his office door. "Come in," he invited. A sad-looking man in threadbare clothes came in, pulling a large pig on a rope. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" asked the ma... Read more of Frog Story at Free Jokes.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesThe Eye
How the Eye is Made. Next in importance after the smell and t...
Nothing is more required in healing than properly to nourish t...
Punctures Case Viii
This case illustrates the mode of treatment by the lunar caus...
Fixation of the crico-arytenoid joints with an approximation...
WHEN we are tolerant as a matter of course, the nervous syste...
Should be an indication that food in general or some certain k...
For traumatic trismus, use the B D current, of vigorous force...
The immediate conditions to meet are the rapid fluttering hea...
Morning Sickness Of Pregnant Females
The most efficient and certain remedy for this symptom is _Ma...
Almost hopeless. Emetic; artificial respiration. ...
How the Nails are Made. Another trade, which our wonderful sk...
Decannulation After Cure Of Laryngeal Stenosis
In order to train the patient to breathe again through the la...
Diseases And Disturbances Of The Skin
Their Chief Causes. Skin troubles are of two main kinds accor...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
The following notes should be memorized. 1. Essentials: Kn...
As intimated in the preceding paragraph, the diet during end...
The Three Great Classes Of Food-fuel
Food is Fuel. Now what is the chief quality which makes one k...
That medicines act locally, that is, manifest their symptoms ...
Acute Stenosis Of The Larynx
Etiology.--Causes of a relatively sudden narrowing of the lum...
Conclusive Remarks Obstacles
Before concluding my article, I shall attempt to remove a few...
Cold Affusions And Rubbing
After the pack, the patient is placed in an empty bathing or ...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy