|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesThe Teeth The Ivory Keepers Of The Gate
Why the Teeth are Important. The teeth are a very important...
The Throat Should Be Covered With A Wet Compress I E A Piece Of
linen four to eightfold, according to its original thickness, d...
Take Care Of Your Stomach
WE all know that we have a great deal to do. Some of ...
Tartar Emetic Or Other Antimonial Poisons
If vomiting is not present, induce it by an emetic. Give doses...
Why Does Mrs Smith Get On My Nerves?
IF you want to know the true answer to this question ...
Scarlatina Simplex Or Simple Scarlet-fever
In the _mildest form_ of the disease, called _scarlatina simp...
Myocarditis Fibrous Symptoms And Signs
The symptoms of chronic myocardial degeneration are progressi...
Priessnitz's Method The Wet-sheet-pack
a remedy which, alone, is worth the whole antiphlogistic, dia...
Habit And Nervous Strain
PEOPLE form habits which cause nervous strain. When t...
SUPPOSE your husband got impatient and annoyed with y...
See Abscess; Ankle; Armpit; Bone, Diseased. ...
The Contagion Of Scarlatina Very Active
The _contagion_ of scarlatina is very active, and adheres for...
Social/cultural/psychological Obstacles To Fasting
Numerous attitudes make it difficult to fast or to provide mo...
Period Of Eruption Or Appearing Of The Rash
Commonly, on the second day, towards evening, sometimes on th...
How the Nails are Made. Another trade, which our wonderful sk...
Exercise And Growth
Fatigue as a Danger Signal. The chief use of exercise in ch...
Pedunculated malignant growths are readily removed with snar...
Many of the troubles which come in this process arise simply f...
Diverticulum Of The Esophagus
Diverticula may, and usually do, consist in a pouching by her...
Gangrene Of The Lung
Pulmonary gangrene has been followed by recovery after the e...
Resume Of Emergency Tracheotomy
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
The following notes should be memorized.
1. Essentials: Knife and pair of hands (but full equipment better).
 2. Don't do a laryngotomy, or stabbing.
3. Two stage, finger guided operation better.
4. Sand bag or substitute.
5. Press back danger lines with left thumb and middle finger, making
safety line and trachea prominent.
6. Memorize Jackson's tracheotomic triangle.
7. Incise exactly in middle line from Adam's apple to sternum.
8. Feel for tracheal corrugations with left index in pool of blood,
following trachea with finger downward from superficial Adam's apple.
9. Pass knife along index and incise trachea (not too deeply, may
cut posterior wall).
10. Don't mind bleeding; but keep middle line and keep head
straight; keep head low; don't bother about thyroid gland.
11. Don't expect hiss when trachea is cut if patient has stopped
12. Start artificial respiration.
13. Amyl nitrite. Oxygen.
14. Practice palpation of the neck until the tracheal landmarks are
15. Practice above technic, up to point of incision, at every
16. Jackson's tracheotomic triangle: A triangulation of the front
of the neck intended to facilitate a proper emergency tracheotomy.
Apex at suprasternal notch.
Sides anterior edge sternomastoids.
Base horizontal line lower edge cricoid.
Next: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case
Previous: Resume Of Tracheotomy