Medical ArticlesFever Scarlet Or Scarlatina
As a first precaution, when an epidemic of this exists, childr...
This disease is a most difficult one to deal with, and any hea...
Why Fuss So Much About What I Eat?
I KNOW a woman who insisted that it was impossible fo...
Suggestions For The Control Of Athletics
1. Gymnasiums and athletic grounds in connection with all col...
SUPPOSE your husband got impatient and annoyed with y...
How To Be Ill And Get Well
ILLNESS seems to be one of the hardest things to happ...
Bronchoscopy In Diseases Of The Trachea And Bronchi
The indications for bronchoscopy in disease are becoming inc...
A MAN once grasped a very hot poker with his hand, an...
Spasmodic Stenosis Of The Esophagus
Etiology - The functional activity of the esophagus is depend...
Entirely different treatment from the above is needed for such...
This is a severe pain in the lower back, shooting sharply down...
Food In Health
As will be seen from many of these articles, the question of d...
In this fever, now known as a form of Typhoid, the disease spr...
Water In The Head
In cases where this trouble is suspected, very often there is ...
Prolapsus Uteri Falling Of The Womb
Take the B D current, of good medium force, and give general ...
ROBERT FLUDD, surnamed "the Searcher," an English physician, ...
See Veins, Swollen, etc. ...
Malignant Disease Of The Esophagus
Cancer of the esophagus is a more prevalent disease than is c...
The Fundamental Principle
If you are a true believer in any of the above food religions...
Where persistent weariness is felt, and the least exertion bri...
Symptoms Of Prolonged Foreign Body Sojourn In The Bronchus
Category: FOREIGN BODIES IN THE AIR AND FOOD PASSAGES
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
1. The time of inhalation of a foreign body may be unknown or
2. Cough and purulent expectoration ultimately result, although
there may be a delusive protracted symptomless interval.
 3. Periodic attacks of fever, with chills and sweats, and
followed by increased coughing and the expulsion of a large amount of
purulent, usually more or less foul material, are so nearly diagnostic
of foreign body as to call for exclusion of this probability with the
4. Emaciation, clubbing of the fingers and toes, night sweats,
hemoptysis, in fact all of the symptoms of tuberculosis are in most
cases simulated with exactitude, even to the gain in weight by an
5. Tubercle bacilli have never been found, in the cases at the
Bronchoscopic Clinic, associated with foreign body in the bronchus.*
In cases of prolonged sojourn this has been the only element lacking
in a complete clinical picture of advanced tuberculosis. One point of
difference was the almost invariably rapid recovery after removal of
the foreign body. The statement in all of the text-books, that foreign
body is followed by phthisis pulmonalis is a relic of the days when
the bacillary origin of true tuberculosis was unknown, hence the
foreign-body phthisis pulmonalis, or pseudo tuberculosis, was confused
with the true pulmonary tuberculosis of bacillary origin.
6. The subjective sensation of pain may allow the patient accurately
to localize a foreign body.
7. Foreign bodies of metallic or organic nature may cause their
peculiar taste in the sputum.
8. Offensive odored sputum should always suggest bronchial foreign
body; but absence of sputum, odorous or not, should not exclude
9. Sudden complete obstruction of one main bronchus does not cause
noticeable dyspnea provided its fellow is functionating.
 10. Complete obstruction of a bronchus is followed by rapid
11. The physical signs usually show limitation of expansion on the
affected side, impairment of percussion, and lessened trans-mission or
absence of breath-sounds distal to the foreign body.
* The exceptional case has at last been encountered. A boy with a tack
in the bronchus was found to have pulmonary tuberculosis.
Next: Symptoms Of Gastric Foreign Body
Previous: Early Symptoms Of Irritating Foreign Body Such As A Peanut Kernel In The Bronchus