|White Magic.ca - Search the 2500+ free Spell database Visit White Magic.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesEmergency Tracheotomy
Stabbing of the cricothyroid membrane, or an attempted stabb...
If the patient is weak, the circulation depressed, the blood ...
The Brain In Its Direction Of The Body
WE come now to the brain and its direction of other p...
During rheumatism the peripheral blood vessels are generally ...
Growth Of Body
See Limb, Saving a. ...
A sensation sometimes very much annoys patients, which they de...
Diverticulum Of The Esophagus
Diverticula may, and usually do, consist in a pouching by her...
How Fasting Heals
Its an old hygienic maxim that the doctor does not heal, the ...
Esophageal Foreign Body Symptoms
1. There are no absolutely diagnostic symptoms. 2. Dysph...
Fatty degeneration of the heart muscle may be caused by acute...
Baths For Head
In many cases of indigestion and brain exhaustion head-baths a...
The Stages Of Fasting
The best way to understand what happens when we fast is to br...
Hepatitis Inflammation Of Liver
Use the B D current, with what force the patient can bear. Pl...
Is the process whereby the digested food is carried into the b...
This is usually of traumatic or cauterant origin. If severe o...
The Habit Of Illness
IT is surprising how many invalids there are who have...
Of Inflammation Of The Knee
Servant women, I suspect from much kneeling in scouring stair...
How To Sleep Restfully
IT would seem that at least one might be perfectly fr...
Ulcers Case Xxxi
Mr. S. aged 30, had a sore two inches in length in the groin,...
Symptoms Of Prolonged Foreign Body Sojourn In The Bronchus
Category: FOREIGN BODIES IN THE AIR AND FOOD PASSAGES
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
1. The time of inhalation of a foreign body may be unknown or
2. Cough and purulent expectoration ultimately result, although
there may be a delusive protracted symptomless interval.
 3. Periodic attacks of fever, with chills and sweats, and
followed by increased coughing and the expulsion of a large amount of
purulent, usually more or less foul material, are so nearly diagnostic
of foreign body as to call for exclusion of this probability with the
4. Emaciation, clubbing of the fingers and toes, night sweats,
hemoptysis, in fact all of the symptoms of tuberculosis are in most
cases simulated with exactitude, even to the gain in weight by an
5. Tubercle bacilli have never been found, in the cases at the
Bronchoscopic Clinic, associated with foreign body in the bronchus.*
In cases of prolonged sojourn this has been the only element lacking
in a complete clinical picture of advanced tuberculosis. One point of
difference was the almost invariably rapid recovery after removal of
the foreign body. The statement in all of the text-books, that foreign
body is followed by phthisis pulmonalis is a relic of the days when
the bacillary origin of true tuberculosis was unknown, hence the
foreign-body phthisis pulmonalis, or pseudo tuberculosis, was confused
with the true pulmonary tuberculosis of bacillary origin.
6. The subjective sensation of pain may allow the patient accurately
to localize a foreign body.
7. Foreign bodies of metallic or organic nature may cause their
peculiar taste in the sputum.
8. Offensive odored sputum should always suggest bronchial foreign
body; but absence of sputum, odorous or not, should not exclude
9. Sudden complete obstruction of one main bronchus does not cause
noticeable dyspnea provided its fellow is functionating.
 10. Complete obstruction of a bronchus is followed by rapid
11. The physical signs usually show limitation of expansion on the
affected side, impairment of percussion, and lessened trans-mission or
absence of breath-sounds distal to the foreign body.
* The exceptional case has at last been encountered. A boy with a tack
in the bronchus was found to have pulmonary tuberculosis.
Next: Symptoms Of Gastric Foreign Body
Previous: Early Symptoms Of Irritating Foreign Body Such As A Peanut Kernel In The Bronchus