|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical CategoriesAccidents, Emergencies And Poisons
Diseases Of The Blood And Ductless Galnds
Diseases Of The Eye And Ear
Diseases Of The Nervous System
Diseases Of The Skin
Diseases Of Women
Intoxicants And Sun Strokes
Kidney And Bladder
Medical Uses Of Some Common Household Articles
Obstetrics Or Midwifery
Patent Medicines And Secret Forumla
Bums from Alkali (like potash or strong ammonia)
Category: Accidents, Emergencies and Poisons
Vinegar poured over the
part, or dress with a mild solution of boric acid. One teaspoonful to four
ounces of water.
MOTHERS' REMEDIES. 1. Bruises, Cold Water Prevents Coloring. "Bathe the
parts in cold water, prevents turning black and blue."
2. Bruises, Kerosene Relieves the Pain of. "Bathe freely with kerosene."
3. Bruises, Turpentine to Keep Proud Flesh from. "Rub the injured part
with turpentine and keep warm, and you will find this remedy to be one of
the best to keep proud flesh out and gangrene that has ever been used. I
always have turpentine in my home, and find that I have use for it often.
If once used you will never be without it."
4. Bruises, Bread and Vinegar Quick Remedy for. "Apply a poultice made of
hot vinegar and bread. A girl bruised her fingers with some iron rings in
a gymnasium. She applied this poultice at night, and they were well in the
morning. Since then I always use it for a bruise."
5. Bruises, Good Liniment for. "Where inflammation is under the thin
covering of the bone, dissolve chloral and camphor gum together. They
dissolve each other by putting together, and looks like glycerin. Apply
very little with tip of finger, put absorbent cotton on and bind up with
pure gum rubber band to keep it from evaporating as it is very volatile.
Rubber band must not be too tight, as it will cut off the circulation."
6. Bruises, Liniment Used in Ohio for. "Five cents' worth spirits
ammonia, five cents' worth spirits turpentine, whites of two eggs beaten,
one cup cider vinegar, two cups rain water." This gentleman from Ohio says
he has used the liniment for many years, and his neighbors have used it
with the utmost success. He recommends it as the best he ever used.
PHYSICIANS' TREATMENT. Bruises. 1. Tincture of Arnica applied from
one-half to full strength is very good.
2. Alcohol about two-thirds strength is also very good, gently rubbed in
3. Cold or hot water applied with cloths.
4. Raw beefsteak (lean) is excellent. Place it on the bruise.
5. Lead and laudanum wash if the skin is not broken. Of course bruises
usually disappear in time. The above remedies will help. Heat applied at
some distance from the parts relaxes the surrounding vessels and promotes
absorption of the blood in the bruise.
Next: CUTS. WOUNDS
Previous: Burns from Acid