|While working on a sermon the pastor heard a knock at his office door. "Come in," he invited. A sad-looking man in threadbare clothes came in, pulling a large pig on a rope. "Can I talk to you for a minute?" asked the... Read more of Special Day at Free Jokes.ca|| Informational|
If the foreign body be not removed, the resulting chronic se...
Suck the wound, and apply a drop or two of strong ammonia to t...
How Fasting Heals
Its an old hygienic maxim that the doctor does not heal, the ...
The symptoms of this are cramping pains in the abdomen, witho...
I have been treating several hundred cases of eruptive fevers...
Proper exercise for the brain is most important. But this is n...
This is often a trivial matter, but sometimes it is a symptom ...
Bromids And Chloral
If there is much restlessness and the circulation is good, th...
This is an eruption on the skin, often coming suddenly and goi...
Pedunculated malignant growths are readily removed with snar...
Fever Delirium In
See Delirium. ...
The Coal Foods
Kinds of Coal Foods. There are many different kinds of Coal...
Deviation Of The Esophagus
Deviation of the esophagus may be marked in the presence of a...
At Nauheim, under the direction of Dr. Theodore Schott, baths...
Destruction Of The Organ Of Hearing
When the glands pass into a sloughing state, the parts connec...
Towels Cold Wet
A towel of the ordinary kind, and full size, is soaked in a ba...
Passing the cricopharyngeus is the most difficult part of es...
Strabismus Discordance Of The Eyes
If neither of the rectus muscles have been cut and cicatrized...
Dimensions Of The Trachea And Bronchi
It will be noted that the bronchi divide monopodially, not d...
Wide gagging prevents proper exposure of the larynx by forci...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case