|Military Training.ca - Download the EBook Military Training|| Informational|
It is true that ethical medical doctors use the least-risky ...
Why Does Mrs Smith Get On My Nerves?
IF you want to know the true answer to this question ...
The dilatation of cicatricial stenosis of the esophagus can ...
Readily identified by smell of tar or carbolic. Wash mouth wel...
Treatment Of Pseudo-anginas
The treatment of these pseudo-angibas depends, of course, on ...
Take B D current, moderate force. Treat exactly as in spermat...
The Relative Position Of The Cranial Nasal Oral And Pharyngeal Cavities
On making a section (vertically through the median line) of t...
It has been estimated that 70 per cent of stenoses of the es...
See Flushings. ...
I KNOW a woman who says that if she wants to get her ...
Inspection Of The Party Wall In Cases Of Suspected Laryngeal Malignancy
When taking a specimen the party wall should be inspected by...
Stings Of Insects
The effect produced by the sting of Bees, Wasps, and Hornets ...
Esophageal Foreign Body Symptoms
1. There are no absolutely diagnostic symptoms. 2. Dysph...
Angioneurotic edema manifests itself by a pale or red swolle...
See Urinary Troubles. ...
The Surgical Dissection Of The Superficial Structures Of The Male Perinaeum
The median line of the body is marked as the situation where ...
Teething Of Children
Affections arising from teething of children, are often of a ...
Aortic Insufficiency Aortic Regurgitation
This lesion, though not so common as the mitral lesion, is of...
The patient is quite helpless, and there is usually a strong s...
Clinical Interpretation Of Pulse Tracings
A moment may be spent on clinical interpretation of pulse tra...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case