|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesHealing-spells In Ancient Times
Neither doth fansy only cause, but also as easily cure ...
This affection, though it somewhat resembles a common boil, a...
This symptom or affection, (if it can be classed as a disease...
Metallo-therapy has been defined as a mode of treating vari...
Potatoes boiled and beaten up with buttermilk, spread out in t...
Take the B D current, medium force. If the paralysis be in a ...
See Veins, Swollen, etc. ...
Neuralgia And Rheumatism Of The Heart
If neuralgia, use B D current; if rheumatism, use A D. In eit...
It is not always easy to say definitely whether a bone is brok...
Lues Of The Tracheobronchial Tree
Compared to laryngeal involvement, syphilis of the tracheobr...
The Religion Of It
THE religion of it is the whole of it. "All religion ...
See Indigestion. ...
Suck the wound, and apply a drop or two of strong ammonia to t...
Rub the hands and arms well twice a day with CAYENNE LOTION (s...
Ulcers Case Xxxi
Mr. S. aged 30, had a sore two inches in length in the groin,...
has great power as a local remedy in _Erysipelas_, to be appl...
To understand the physiology, pathology and the best treatmen...
Malignant Disease Of The Esophagus
Cancer of the esophagus is a more prevalent disease than is c...
A Rampaging Infection
At the age of 40, John, an old bohemian client of mine, came ...
Use Of The Long Cord
It is often desirable to bring the entire parts of the patien...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case