|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesNight Pains
If these are of the nature of cramps, which come on while lyin...
Period Of Incubation Or Hatching
The time which passes between the reception of the contagious...
Consumption Prevention Of
This most insidious and deadly disease is caused by a tiny veg...
This arises from the undue contraction of some of the muscles ...
Foreign bodies in the pleural cavity should be immediately re...
Malignant Disease Of The Esophagus
Cancer of the esophagus is a more prevalent disease than is c...
Many of the troubles which come in this process arise simply f...
Take B D current, moderate force. Treat exactly as in spermat...
The delusion that health can be restored by swallowing drugs i...
Mitral Stenosis: Mitral Narrowing
This particular valvular defect occurs more frequently in wom...
If the disease be recent and acute, (but not infectious), as ...
_This is preaching rebellion!_ I know it is, and it is wit...
Tests Of Heart Strength
If both systolic and diastolic blood pressure are taken, and ...
The points to be gained are, to reduce the action of the amat...
This is substantially the same thing as trismus, except that ...
Eyes Paralysis Of
The partial paralysis of the muscles of one eye produces doubl...
These are often a really serious trouble, especially to women,...
Modifications Of Electricity
In the present stage of electric science, the conviction has ...
Anomalies Of The Tracheobronchial Tree
Tracheobronchial anomalies are relatively rare. Congenital e...
Cardiovascular Renal Disease Arrhythmia
While this terns really signifies irregularity and intermit...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case