|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesPunctures Case Viii
This case illustrates the mode of treatment by the lunar caus...
The Surgical Dissection Of The First Second Third And Fourth Layers Of The Inguinal Region In Connexion With Those Of The Thigh
The common integument or first layer of the inguino-femoral r...
Consumption Treatment Of
Turning now to the case when consumption has actually shown it...
When the tracheal incision is placed below the first ring, n...
In a variety of cases, more or less severe spasmodic pains are...
Sources of Starch. The starches are valuable and wholesome fo...
Ankle Twisted Or Crushed
Place the foot as soon as possible in warm water, as hot as ca...
is small pox modified by vaccination. It is to be treated as ...
The Heart In Pneumonia
As pneumonia heads the list of the causes of death in this co...
Action Balance Of
An excellent guide to the proper treatment of any case is to b...
Pulmonary Phthisis Consumption
After tubercles have been formed extensively in the lungs, an...
Bronchoscopic Appearances In Disease
The first look should note the color of the bronchial mucosa...
Period Of Eruption Or Appearing Of The Rash
Commonly, on the second day, towards evening, sometimes on th...
Punctures Case Xiii
Am old man applied leeches to the instep for inflammation occ...
Foreign Bodies In The Bronchi For Prolonged Periods
The sojourn of an inorganic foreign body in the bronchus for ...
Smoking, a Senseless Habit. Smoking is the curious act of dra...
Congenital And Pathological Deformities Of The Prepuce And Urethra Stricture And Mechanical Obstructions Of The Urethra
When any of the central organs of the body presents in a fo...
This troublesome disease is also known as St. Anthony's Fire, ...
Scarlatina Simplex Or Simple Scarlet-fever
In the _mildest form_ of the disease, called _scarlatina simp...
The Use Of The Will
IT is not generally recognized that the will can be t...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case