|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesThe Surgical Dissection Of The Superficial Bloodvessels Etc Of The Inguino-femoral Region
Hernial protrusions are very liable to occur at the inguino-f...
is valuable as a _palliative_ upon cancerous tumors. As a _cu...
Neutralise by chalk or lime water, but not by soda or any alka...
An infant's clothing should be soft, warm, and light in weight...
Butter, Margarine And Fats In General
Recently, enormous propaganda has been generated against eati...
Eyes Accidents To
Three distinct classes of these are to be considered. They req...
Passing the cricopharyngeus is the most difficult part of es...
In all fevers, to cool down the excessive heat of the patient ...
The Stiffening Rods Of The Body-machine
What Bones Are. The bones are not the solid foundation and fr...
Tartar Emetic Or Other Antimonial Poisons
If vomiting is not present, induce it by an emetic. Give doses...
Early Symptoms Of Irritating Foreign Body Such As A Peanut Kernel In The Bronchus
1. Initial laryngeal spasm is almost invariably present wit...
HERE are two true stories and a remarkable contrast. ...
Influenzal infection, not always by the same organism, sweep...
Conclusion: Help Yourselves If Your Physicians Will Not Help You!
And I am none of your water-enthusiasts, who pretend to cure ...
For an ordinary convulsive attack in the case of a child, hold...
THERE was once a family who had a guest staying with ...
Mitral Insufficiency: Mitral Regurgitation
This is the most frequent form of valvular disease of the hea...
Frictions With Lard
were used already by Caelius Aurelianus, and recently re-intr...
Some peoples' lives don't run smoothly. Jeanne's certainly di...
To Prevent Cholera
_Camphor_ (_pellets medicated_ with the pure tincture) _Verat...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case