Medical ArticlesSnake Bites
A snake bite is only one of a large class of injuries which ma...
A most common trouble is anaemia, a lack of good red blood, sh...
If you would cure thoroughly, you must first make sure that th...
The only sure sign of the presence of this parasite in the int...
IT will be plainly seen that this training of the bod...
Entering The Bronchi
The lip of the bronchoscope should be turned in the directio...
Suck the wound, and apply a drop or two of strong ammonia to t...
This arises generally, from inflammation of the mucous membra...
Bowels Glands Of
Symptoms of glandular trouble in the bowels are--weariness and...
Anatomy Of Larynx Trachea Bronchi And Esophagus Endoscopically Considered
The larynx is a cartilaginous box, triangular in cross-sectio...
Few vital processes are more remarkable than that by which foo...
HERE are two true stories and a remarkable contrast. ...
Next to those most dangerous forms--most dangerous, because t...
Caffein can irritate the heart and cause irregularity and ta...
Many of the troubles which come in this process arise simply f...
Nervous Strain In Pain And Sickness
THERE is no way in which superfluous and dangerous te...
Dr Jerome Kidder's Electro-magnetic Machine
On opening the machine-box, as it comes from the manufacturer...
Convulsions Of Children - Fits
These generally occur, either from the irritation of worms, o...
Rubbing Sheet Substitute For The Half-bath
It cannot be difficult to procure a wash-tub. Should you be s...
Papillomata Of The Larynx In Children
Of all benign growths in the larynx papilloma is the most fre...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case