|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesThe Dissection Of The Oblique Or External And The Direct Or Internal Inguinal Herniae
The order in which the herniary bowel takes its investments f...
Much, if not all, of the success in any case of treatment depe...
These pains occur usually when a patient has been for some tim...
The Expletive Method Blood-letting
has been advocated by some of the best authorities, and there...
The Religion Of It
THE religion of it is the whole of it. "All religion ...
The Trying Member Of The Family
"TOMMY, don't do that. You know it annoys your grandf...
Positive And Negative Manifestations
Acute diseases are to be regarded as electrically positive, a...
There Is Neither A Specific Nor A Prophylactic To Be Relied On
All these different methods and remedies, and many others, ha...
Removal Of Foreign Bodies From The Larynx
Symptoms and Diagnosis.--The history of a sudden choking atta...
To wisely alter and arrange the treatment in any case is of th...
Exercise While Fasting
The issue of how much activity is called for on a fast is co...
By this we mean, not the nerve trouble which follows a sudden ...
Aphonia Loss Of Voice
This affection requires treatment variously, as it depends on...
Diagnosis Of Foreign Body In The Air Or Food Passages
The questions arising are: I. Is a foreign body present? ...
(1) Nerve or imaginary chills. These are feelings of cold, whe...
How the Eye is Made. Next in importance after the smell and t...
Diffuse Dilatation Of The Esophagus
This is practically always due to stagnation ectasia, which i...
After a fall from a height, where there is no apparent outward...
Enough has already been said of the value and limitations of ...
Ulcers Case Xxviii
Mrs. U. aged 60, has been subject to ulcerated legs for sever...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case