|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesAngina Pectoris
This is a name applied to pain in the region of the heart cau...
Probably most acute infections cause more or less myocarditis...
The Surgical Dissection Of The Superficial Structures Of The Male Perinaeum
The median line of the body is marked as the situation where ...
Foreign bodies rarely lodge in an upper-lobe bronchus, yet w...
ONCE met a man who had to do an important piece of sc...
Lessons From Nutritional Anthropology
The next logical pair of questions are: how healthy could goo...
Blood Pressure In Children
May Michael, [Footnote: Michael, May: A Study of Blood Pressu...
During rheumatism the peripheral blood vessels are generally ...
How Women Can Keep From Being Nervous
MANY people suffer unnecessarily from "nerves" just...
The Rational Care Of Self
A WOMAN who had had some weeks of especially difficul...
Part of a raw turnip is grated down to a pulp. As much of this...
The simplest, best, and safest source of current is a double...
Compression Stenosis Of The Esophagus
The esophagus may be narrowed by the pressure of any periesop...
Often very serious trouble takes the form of simple overwhelmi...
Diseased bone is not incurable. Bone is indeed constantly bein...
Benign Growths In The Larynx
Benign growths in the larynx are easily and accurately remova...
The Care Of The Heart-pump
The Effect of Work upon the Heart. Whatever else in this body...
See Bowels, Locking of, above. ...
Difficulties In The Introduction Of The Bronchoscope
The beginner may enter the esophagus instead of the trachea:...
Treatment Of Acute And Subacute Inflammation And Ulceration Of The Esophagus
Bismuth subnitrate in doses of about one gramme, given dry o...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case