|Mix Martial Arts.ca - Mixed Martial Arts News and Stories Visit Mix Martial Arts.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesThe Heart In Pneumonia
As pneumonia heads the list of the causes of death in this co...
Limbs Disjointed Or Sprained
In the case of an overstretch, or sprain, which has resulted i...
Putrid Symptoms Gargle Solution Of Chloride Of Soda Drink: Chlorate Of Potass Liquor Calcii-chloridi
Should _putrid symptoms_ make their appearance (21), I would ...
This fever assumes two principal forms: Simple or mild, and M...
Elsie was twenty. She came to see me because I had helped Els...
What Keeps Us Alive
The Energy in Food and Fuel. The first question that arises i...
A Summing Up
GIVE up resentment, give up unhealthy resistance. ...
Take B D current, strong force. Apply P. P. to the open blood...
How To Sew Easily
IT is a common saying that we should let our heads sa...
The spatular end of the laryngoscope should now be tipped ba...
Often inflammation occurs in the centre of, or beneath, a mass...
Feet Giving Way
Where there is a great deal of standing to be done by any one,...
See Hay Fever. ...
Indications For Strychnin
Strychnin is a much overused drug. It is now given for almost...
Face Skin Of
To secure a healthy appearance of this is worth much trouble, ...
Balance Loss Of
Cases where loss of balance in walking and standing are due to...
Modifications Of Electricity
In the present stage of electric science, the conviction has ...
Enlargement Of Liver
Take A D current, with medium force. Place N. P., some three ...
Habit And Nervous Strain
PEOPLE form habits which cause nervous strain. When t...
The destruction of the skin over any painful part, by means of...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case