|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
In many cases of severe illness, the stomach rejects all food,...
Where The Temperature Is Too Low That Is Below 98-2/5 Deg
rub all over with warm olive oil, and clothe in good soft flan...
Mineral Acids And Glacial Acetic
If any neutralising agent, such, e.g., as lime, chalk, soda, o...
Wounds And Bruises
On this subject, I must necessarily be very brief. When a wou...
In serious cases of this trouble, the patient awakes some time...
It is essential that the patient on whom the examination is t...
See Flushings. ...
This very common trouble is caused by one or more of the veins ...
See Pain. ...
Take the B D current, medium force. If the paralysis be in a ...
Soaping The Head
See Head, Soaping. ...
Conditions Causing Change In Blood Pressure
Woolley [Footnote: Woolley, P. G.: Factors Governing Vascular...
Rapid Relief From Colon Cleansing
During fasting the liver is hard at work processing toxins re...
Enemas Cold Water
Prejudice often exists against cold treatment of any kind, but...
acts very beneficially when applied to the surface where ther...
In hypertension, as long as the heart, which is probably hyp...
Breast Swelling In
A blow on the breast, or the drain of nursing a child, along w...
I see a lot of spiritually-induced physical illness in my pra...
Period Of Desquamation Or Peeling-off
About the sixth or seventh day, the epidermis, or cuticle of ...
Demonstrations Of The Origin And Progress Of Femoral Hernia Its Diagnosis The Taxis And The Operation
PLATE 45, Fig. 1.--The point, 3, from which an external ingui...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case