|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesInterpretation Of Tracings
The interpretation of the arterial tracing shows that the nea...
The Central Point Of The Circuit
The central point of the circuit--that point which divides be...
How Fasting Heals
Its an old hygienic maxim that the doctor does not heal, the ...
A talisman may be described as an emblematical object or im...
This trouble appears in two opposite characters. In the one it...
Ordinarily we are not aware of the beating of the heart, enorm...
It has long been known that altitude increases the heart rate...
Scarlatina Simplex Or Simple Scarlet-fever
In the _mildest form_ of the disease, called _scarlatina simp...
The Effect Of Drugs On Venous Blood Pressure
Capps and Matthews [Footnote: Capps, J. A., and Matthews, S. ...
We have had many cases of contracted limbs, arising from vario...
The only sure sign of the presence of this parasite in the int...
A snake bite is only one of a large class of injuries which ma...
The Relation Of The Internal Parts To The External Surface Of The Body
An exact acquaintance with the normal character of the extern...
How the Eye is Made. Next in importance after the smell and t...
SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS may be truly defined as a person's...
In the original edition, good treacle was recommended as a lax...
Nose Bleed - Epistaxis
If it arises from fullness of the vessels of the head, with t...
Treat as under Fever, Gastric, and Fever. In addition, great c...
During the years it takes for a body to degenerate enough to ...
The Child As An Ideal
WHILE the path of progress in the gaining of repose c...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case