Medical ArticlesMind Training
IT will be plainly seen that this training of the bod...
Rheumatism is the cause of most instances of cardiac disease ...
Aphonia Loss Of Voice
This affection requires treatment variously, as it depends on...
Freshness Of Fruits And Vegetables
Most people do not realize the crucial importance of freshnes...
The Use Of The Brain
LET us now consider instances where the brain alone i...
Diet And Corpulence
A tendency to obesity should always be carefully checked by at...
This is substantially the same thing as trismus, except that ...
The prognosis is very uncertain. This infirmity is often cure...
Safety-pins in children, point upward, when lodged high in t...
Prejudice Of Physicians Against The Water-cure
The greatest, and the most serious, difficulty lies in the pr...
This peculiar burning and distressed feeling at the stomach d...
Ulcers Case Xxvi
The following case occurred in the person of a lady with vari...
Burns And Scalds
No matter what the nature and extent of the burn may be, the ...
Skin A Wintry
Something like an epidemic of skin trouble is often experience...
Varix And Angioma Of The Esophagus
These lesions are sometimes the cause of esophageal hemorrhag...
Esophageal Foreign Body
After initial choking and gagging, or without these, there m...
For slight burns, immerse the injured part in cold water, and ...
These pains occur usually when a patient has been for some tim...
ONCE a young woman who had very hard work to do day a...
Where the juices and organs of the body are thoroughly healthy,...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case