|To dream of a feast, foretells that pleasant surprises are beingplanned for you. To see disorder or misconduct at a feast,foretells quarrels or unhappiness through the negligenceor sickness of some person.To arrive late at a feast, denotes that vexi... Read more of Feast at My Dreams.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesMyocardial Disturbances
While the myocardium is the most important muscle structure...
The Relations Of The Principal Bloodvessels To The Viscera Of The Thoracico-abdominal Cavity
The median line of the body is occupied by the centres of the...
In every person there is a certain amount only of force which i...
This trouble is rather a symptom than a disease. It rises from ...
ROBERT FLUDD, surnamed "the Searcher," an English physician, ...
The cause of this is a nervous derangement of the internal org...
Clinical Interpretation Of Pulse Tracings
A moment may be spent on clinical interpretation of pulse tra...
Importance Of Noting The Central Point
From the above observations, it will be plain that, when we w...
Hands Dry And Hard
Pack the hands in SOAP LATHER (see) mixed with a little fine o...
5. Cardiac Emergency Drugs.--Besides some of the drugs alread...
Rich Foods Brandy Beef-tea Etc
must be avoided. Involuntary starting, and the manifestation...
The Lower Animals
It may, by some, be objected that, if we regard sensation as ...
Punctures Case Vi
A little boy, aged 12, received a stab by a penknife a few da...
Fatigue, excessive heat, fright, loss of blood, hunger, etc., ...
Some things regarding this useful fruit require to be noted by...
Alkalis (eg Ammonia Soda Or Potash)
Give dilute vinegar, followed by white of egg. ...
Limb Saving A
The proper growth of the body in any part depends on the power...
Many of the troubles which come in this process arise simply f...
Punctures Case Iii
A female servant punctured the end of the finger by a pin; th...
The Surgical Dissection Of The Fifth Sixth Seventh And Eighth Layers Of The Inguinal Region And Their Connexion With Those Of The Thigh
When we remove the internal oblique and cremaster muscles, we...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case