|To dream of doing crochet work, foretells your entanglement in some sillyaffair growing out of a too great curiosity about other people's business.Beware of talking too frankly with over-confidential women.... Read more of Crochet Work at My Dreams.ca|| Informational|
has great power as a local remedy in _Erysipelas_, to be appl...
Autodrownage is the name given by the author to the drowning...
If an attack comes on from sudden cold, take _Aconite_ and _I...
Clinical Interpretation Of Pulse Tracings
A moment may be spent on clinical interpretation of pulse tra...
There are two opposite causes of unconsciousness. One is conge...
While the myocardium is the most important muscle structure...
Diagnosis From Measles
In scarlatina the heat is much greater, and the pulse is much...
The Digestive Process
After we have eaten our four-color meal--often we do this in ...
The Dissection Of The Oblique Or External And The Direct Or Internal Inguinal Herniae
The order in which the herniary bowel takes its investments f...
Take Care Of Your Stomach
WE all know that we have a great deal to do. Some of ...
The Brain In Its Direction Of The Body
WE come now to the brain and its direction of other p...
Amaurosis Paralysis Of The Optic Nerve
Use B D current, moderate force, three or four times, and the...
See Bowels, Locking of, above. ...
Urgent dyspnea in diphtheria when no membrane and but slight...
Often in cases where our treatment fails to cure, the failure ...
Preparation Of The Patient For Peroral Endoscopy
The suggestions of the author in the earlier volumes in regar...
Some years back my 70 years old mother came from the family ...
This is a contagious disease, and always begins with symptoms...
The Care Of The Heart-pump
The Effect of Work upon the Heart. Whatever else in this body...
RELIEF from the mastery of an evil mood is like fresh air aft...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case