|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesInterpretation Of Tracings
The interpretation of the arterial tracing shows that the nea...
Copy Of Certificate
These may Inform all whom it might Concern, that Mr. J...
SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS may be truly defined as a person's...
This is a very common trouble, especially in the young. To res...
This disease depends upon derangement of the liver. The skin ...
Cold Affusions And Rubbing
After the pack, the patient is placed in an empty bathing or ...
The part of the heart most affected is the part which has the...
Bowels Glands Of
Symptoms of glandular trouble in the bowels are--weariness and...
The delusion that health can be restored by swallowing drugs i...
Contraindications To Esophagoscopy
In the presence of aneurysm, advanced organic disease, exten...
Take B D current, strong force. Apply P. P. to the open blood...
Methods Of Treatment
Irritating applications probably provoke recurrences, becaus...
Nose Bleed - Epistaxis
If it arises from fullness of the vessels of the head, with t...
Skin Care Of
Among the vast majority of people air and water far too seldom...
Preparation Of The Patient For Peroral Endoscopy
The suggestions of the author in the earlier volumes in regar...
To Prevent Colds
Keep the _arms_, _hands_ and _chest_ well clothed and warm. ...
Of Fungous Ulcer Of The Navel In Infants
It sometimes occurs that a little fungous sore exists upon th...
Stage I Entering The Right Pyriform Sinus
The operator standing (as in Fig. 66), inserts the esophagos...
Technic For General Anesthesia
For esophagoscopy and gastroscopy, if general anesthesia is ...
The Temperature Of The Room However Should Be A Few Degrees
higher than in scarlatina, as none of these other eruptive dise...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case