|VIEW THE MOBILE VERSION of www.homemedicine.ca|| Informational|
Medical ArticlesInducing A Child To Open Its Mouth (author's Method)
The wounding of the child's mouth, gums, and lips, in the of...
Difficulties Of Esophagoscopy
The beginner may find the esophagoscope seemingly rigidly fi...
The Rational Care Of Self
A WOMAN who had had some weeks of especially difficul...
The symptoms of this are cramping pains in the abdomen, witho...
During rheumatism the peripheral blood vessels are generally ...
Its Cause and Prevention. The other great disease of the lung...
The destruction of the skin over any painful part, by means of...
Punctures Case V
Mr. Cocking's son, aged 12, received a stab in the palm of th...
Deformities Of The Prostate Distortions And Obstructions Of The Prostatic Urethra
The prostate is liable to such frequent and varied deformitie...
WHEN we are tolerant as a matter of course, the nervous syste...
The Lookout Department
Why the Eyes, Ears, and Nose are Near the Mouth. If you had n...
Thumb Bruised And Broken
Frequently a tradesman will strike the thumb or finger a serio...
In many cases of severe illness, the stomach rejects all food,...
If in the head, first give face-bath, as in common colds, exc...
Why People Get Sick
This is the Theory of Toxemia. A healthy body struggles conti...
This rarely, if ever, occurs alone; it is generally a sequenc...
This is a name applied to pain in the region of the heart cau...
Wide gagging prevents proper exposure of the larynx by forci...
This frequent and distressing trouble is to be traced to a sta...
The Digestive Process
After we have eaten our four-color meal--often we do this in ...
Notes On Nursing Tracheotomized Patients
Category: CHRONIC STENOSIS OF THE LARYNX AND TRACHEA
Source: A Manual Of Peroral Endoscopy And Laryngeal Surgery
Bedside tray should contain:
Probe-pointed curved bistoury.
1. Room should be abundantly ventilated, as free from dust and lint
as possible, and the air should be moistened by steam in winter.
2. Keep mouth clean. Tooth brush. Rinse alcohol 1:10.
3. Sponge away secretion after the cough before drawn in.
4. Remove inner cannula (not outer) as often as needed. Not less
often than every hour. Replace immediately. Never boil a cannula until
you have thoroughly cleaned it.
5. Obstruction of cannula calling for cleaning indicated by:
Blue or ashy color.
Indrawing at clavicles, sternal notch, epigastrium.
Noisy breathing. (Learn sound.)
6. Surgeon (in our cases) will change outer cannula once daily or
7. Duplicate cannulae.
8. Be careful in cleaning cannulae not to damage.
9. Watch for loose parts on cannula.
10. Change dressing (in our cases) as often as soiled. Not less
often than every hour. Large squares. Never narrow strips.
11. Watch color of lips and ears and face.
 12. Report at once if food or water leaks through wound.
(Coughing and choking).
13. Never leave a tracheotomized patient unwatched during the first
days or weeks, according to case.
14. Remember Trousseau dilator or hemostat will spread the tracheal
wound or fistula when cannula is out.
15. Remember life depends on a clear cannula if the patient gets no
air through the mouth.
16. Remember it takes very little to clog the small cannula of a
17. Remember a tracheotomized patient cannot call for help.
18. Decannulation. Testing by corking partially. Watch corks
not too small, or broken. Attach them by braided silk
thread. Pure rubber cord ground down makes best cork.
Next: Chronic Stenosis Of The Larynx And Trachea
Previous: Resume Of After-care Of A Tracheotomic Case